The P.O.P. Factor

My photo
"Just the facts, ma'am." More often than not, politically correct bullshit won't be found here. Pardon me while I exercise my 1st amendment right! I welcome all to my little world of bitches, moans, gripes and complaints, and sometimes, the downright freakin' odd. Take a seat and join me. I love a good story.

Friday, May 13, 2011

Blubber mania

I don't profess to be a physical fitness nut, since I am not the same svelte person that I was 30 years ago. I can't say that I've struggled with obesity all my life, since I haven't. I've tried to stay active throughout the years.  I spent 12 years in uniform, working the streets in all kinds of weather, carrying 10-12 lbs. of equipment and that tends to burn calories...if you don't sit on your ass all night. Then I sat behind a desk, ate a lot of junk food, and still continued to smoke.

Several years ago my Doctor drew me a picture of what lay ahead. I made some life style changes. I quit smoking and promptly gained more weight. In 20 years, I managed to gain 40 lbs.
That was the biggest struggle. When you pass age 35, it becomes extremely difficult to suck in the gut. It seemed important to me that I be able to see my feet, to climb a flight of stairs without wheezing afterwards, to squat and bend and to even continue doing my own yard work. (Don't underestimate it. It's very good exercise.) I lost 15 lbs and started feeling better. I seemed to have peaked at that amount, but I am still trying for at least another 10 lbs. I don't want to set my goals too high. I am, after all, a realist.
I try very hard to keep my stomach from blubbering over my waistband and I sure as hell don't want that cutesy thing called a "muffin top" let alone the old "love handles." I could be wrong here, but I think the only difference between those two is the location of the blubber.  Or is it a guy/girl thing?  I can't keep track.

Now, it seems this latest generation, and their off-spring, are just disgustingly over-weight. Children are pasty faced, sit behind a computer or hand held device all day and eat whatever junk food is fast and handy. They get no exercise or fresh air. Parents don't take the time to actually get involved in their kid's lives and most blame the system. You know, the entitlement generation.

I can't help noticing that muffin tops, love handles, and the always popular butt crack, are actually acceptable fashion statements. There once was such a time when teenage girls had such low self-esteem issues that it produced cases of anorexia/bulimia. I know that there are still many people who struggle with those diseases, but we've now traveled to the other extreme.



The cases of diabetes in teenagers and young adults has tripled.  Carpal Tunnel Syndrome has also escalated because of too much time behind a keyboard or video game.  Taking legal action against fast food companies because you're over-weight is delusional.  Who was the fool that opened their fat mouth and stuffed all that garbage in there to begin with?  Holding someone else responsible for your own actions is so typical in today's society. No one takes responsibility and it's never their fault.

So there's my rant...

I struggled for years to keep a flat stomach and now muffin tops, jelly rolls, and love handles are supposedly sexy.  There's no way in hell I'm going down that road....fashionable or otherwise.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm reminded of a recent study (no link) about how african american children spend on average 5-7 hours watching tv per day (per day!!)

and while it's easy to make stereotypes, i think it should be noted that suburban kids... white, asian, hispanic or black... also waste tons of time indoors not moving, for instance, in front of the computer.

i agree about the entitlement mentality... not only are there a bunch of stoopid lawsuits (like suing mcdonalds for making you fat) but people are getting a bunch of plastic surgery and the like...

Older School said...

This is where parents need to step up to the plate and take responsibility for ensuring their kids get out of the house and doing things. Group activities like team sports and scouts instill respect and motivate them. Some parents just don't have the time or inclination. One generation to the next...