The P.O.P. Factor

My photo
"Just the facts, ma'am." More often than not, politically correct bullshit won't be found here. Pardon me while I exercise my 1st amendment right! I welcome all to my little world of bitches, moans, gripes and complaints, and sometimes, the downright freakin' odd. Take a seat and join me. I love a good story.

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Watch Your Tongue, Dave

Late night talk show host, David Letterman has become the target of death threats that were posted on a jihadist website.

That's right....a frequent contributor to a radical muslim website urged followers to "cut the tongue" of David Letterman, all over a joke he made about the death of a Muslim leader.....back in June.

In his monologue, Letterman made the joke after a U.S. drone airstrike in Pakistan killed  al-Queda leader Ilyas Kashmiri. Letterman made the finger across the neck motion when referring to him and the death of Osama Bin Laden.
A man who uses the pseudonym, "Al-Basrawi" on this website posted this, "Is there not among you a Sayyid Nosair al-Miari to cut the tongue of this lowly Jew and shut it forever?"

Al-Basrawi was referring to a well known terrorist who was convicted of the 1993 World Trade Center bombing. In his rant, Al-Basrawi asked Allah to paralyze Letterman's tongue.  Asking your God to paralyze someone's tongue is one thing, but when you put out a call to all terrorists to whack a late night talk show host and comedian, then I have to wonder if things are a little slow in the terrorist world.
Oh, and someone forgot to tell Al-Basrawi that Dave's not Jewish.

The Fibbies are looking in to this matter and have been quoted as saying they take this threat seriously.


Radical muslims just don't get that free speech thing.  It is our protected 1st Amendment right that allows us to poke fun of ALL religions equally...and their's is no exception.
Terrorists....they have no sense of humor.

3 comments:

Mad Jack said...

Do you think this is a credible threat to Letterman? Do you think the F.B.I. might be over-reacting because, although there is an infinitely slim chance that something might happen, they feel they should protect themselves against a future civil lawsuit?

I remember a group of young men who desecrated a Qur'an and posted the video on the Internet, then received credible death threats from some Islamic group. At least the gov't said the threats were credible. Any thoughts?

I liked the part where they shot the Qur'an with a shotgun - I still get a good laugh over that one.

Older School said...

As far as a credible threat...everything's credible these days until proven otherwise.
We can't go in to any airport and use the B word as a joke. It wasn't funny 20 years ago and it isn't any funnier now. The world has gone to hell in a hand basket. Strangely enough - there's not one word from Letterman or his attorney on the matter.
2 writers from the TV series South Park, once received death threats from extremists specifically because they depicted Allah as a chubby bear during one of the show's episodes. The person responsible was able to obtain their home addresses, posted them on a website, calling upon their fellow nuts to kill them, all in the name of their God. If I recall, that extremist was apprehended.
It just irks me that the muslim holy book, the Qur'an, Quran, Koran...however you spell it, is such a sacred book that should anyone desecrate it in any manner, they're basically marked for death. Yet, the Bible (and our flag) is often burned to offend us. We don't call up a posse to go kick some butt. The 1st amendment guarantees freedom of speech and religion. Which means I should be allowed to worship any way that I feel. If burning a book is how I want to do it, so be it.
Do you remember last year when Pastor Terry Jones wanted to commemorate 9/11 by burning the Koran? How much ass did we kiss trying to convince this nut how wrong it was? Even the Pres. got involved.
It's so one sided and a twisted belief perpetrated by "lib-tards" and "moonbats."
Eh! Don't get me started!

Mad Jack said...

Eh! Don't get me started!

Appears it's a bit late for that. :)

I know what you mean, though. We are supposed to be tolerant of their beliefs, even when they declare some kind of Allah inspired open season on some poor schmuck who makes an attempt at religious humor online. Screw 'em. Europe is tolerant and look where tolerance is getting them.

I try to maintain a certain amount of civilized consideration for everyone's belief system. Oftentimes I fail, but the effort is made even in the face of certain failure. And that's the best I can do.