The P.O.P. Factor

My photo
"Just the facts, ma'am." More often than not, politically correct bullshit won't be found here. Pardon me while I exercise my 1st amendment right! I welcome all to my little world of bitches, moans, gripes and complaints, and sometimes, the downright freakin' odd. Take a seat and join me. I love a good story.

Monday, August 29, 2011

Irene's Amazing Stupidity

I am often amazed at the stupidity of people during a natural disaster.  It's always great to see people keeping their sense of humor during stressful and catastrophic situations.  It shines an amusing light in to a dark atmosphere.  It takes away the dread of the unknown.
But we know that there's a line between humor and lack of sensibility.  When there is a state of emergency declared in your city, town or county, it is the responsible adult thing to heed the advice of the professionals.  For instance, a Category 1 or 2 hurricane dictates that you should seek shelter and make appropriate arrangements to sustain yourself.  Some people like to gather with friends and have hurricane parties.  While I am not opposed to alcohol in most forms, you get a bunch of 20 somethings together during a storm, the inevitable happens....TRUTH or DARE.

The Weather Channel people clearly amaze me.  I hope they get paid well to stand in the middle of a blinding snow storm freezing their asses off or, as in this case, getting blown around like a rag doll in the midst of a 40 mile an hour wind gust with a sharp rain pounding at them. I sometimes wonder if they think the world doesn't believe them so they have to document it on national TV.

In this video from Virginia Beach, VA, Eric Fisher of TWC, demonstrates his occupational hazards.  He also documents that there are incredibly stupid people driving around in rather precarious weather. Then, there are the 20 something morons running amok, half naked through the storm.  Watch carefully. You know they weren't completely sober.



I have to post this one from Fox Reporter, Tucker Barnes, filming live from Ocean City, MD.
He's discovered an unknown substance that the wind blows in from the ocean.  He even tastes it.  Not on purpose, I'm sure.
It practically buries him in it, and well, I say he deserves a bonus. It's pretty nasty looking.



As all these weather geeks like to tell us, these hurricanes can really churn up the sea, causing dangerous tides, rip currents, beach erosion, and 40 foot waves (depending on the fierceness of the storm). This is why they evacuate the coastal areas.  They flood.  DAH!
Even if there's only a tropical storm, it is not in your best interest to be anywhere near the sea. It's unpredictable and dangerous. Why are there always morons who want to walk out on to a dock and get up close and personal? The waves are often times so strong that it disintegrates docks, washing them out to sea. Imagine what it could do to you?  More than a dozen brain dead people in Florida do exactly what you're not supposed to do and pay the price.



Having been there more often than I care to note, I highly recommend going at least 30 miles inlet, load up on supplies, including alcoholic refreshments, and be prepared to live without electricity for a period of time. This is where a gas grill is very useful. Depending on your needs, a generator can be quite the lifesaver. Remember to get enough gas. You will suddenly get to know your neighbors and the barter system reinvents itself.
Lastly, I really think people should listen to these weather geeks. They may be on to something.
Ya think?

No comments: