The P.O.P. Factor

My photo
"Just the facts, ma'am." More often than not, politically correct bullshit won't be found here. Pardon me while I exercise my 1st amendment right! I welcome all to my little world of bitches, moans, gripes and complaints, and sometimes, the downright freakin' odd. Take a seat and join me. I love a good story.

Friday, December 30, 2011

Screen Test

Beaufort, SC

Back in the day, before seat belt use became mandatory everywhere, there was a way of persuading a somewhat rowdy customer in the back seat to shut the hell up. It was called the "Screen Test."

The rear view


There would be those poor cats and dogs that ran out in front of the police car. You can't run over them! Sometimes the brakes would lock up for absolutely no reason. We had horrible mechanics. The abrupt stop would cause the rear passenger to move forward, striking the screen.
Back in the 90's, laws and rules about the rear seat belt use almost eliminated the problem, so other 'accidents' would happen. For instance, I know I warned that child molester about that step. I told him to duck when getting in the back seat of the car, but people don't always listen.

Yea, accidents happen in our line of work.

Now, before you go all righteous and start lecturing, I have always been the type of cop who abhors the use of excessive force. There comes a time when the fight is over. I can't tell you how many times I wanted to beat the snot out of people, but I did everything within my power to restrain myself once they were cuffed. I often used words to tell a piece of shit what I thought of them. Nowadays, though, I think most cops focus like their actions are going to be on the nightly news or youtube. Everybody has a phone with some kind of recording device. I sure as hell don't want to be on youtube.

With all that said, I saw this article  in the newspaper and just laughed uncontrollably.  One idiot by the name of Mark Altman Jr. was arrested in 2009 by the police for drunk and disorderly, resisting arrest, and for probably just being an asshole.
He claims that the transporting officer slammed on the brakes for no reason, causing him to slam his face into the screen and breaking his nose. Yes, you read it right. It was 2 years ago! Did he just now sober up and hatched this genius plan to get some settlement money?

The police department states it's the first they've heard of it.

Sometimes stupid is genius.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

in today's society, doing these kind of shenanigans for the media can get you a reality show probably

Anonymous said...

Oh how I do miss the ole Screen Test! Don't get to transport to many "clients" these days.