The P.O.P. Factor

My photo
"Just the facts, ma'am." More often than not, politically correct bullshit won't be found here. Pardon me while I exercise my 1st amendment right! I welcome all to my little world of bitches, moans, gripes and complaints, and sometimes, the downright freakin' odd. Take a seat and join me. I love a good story.

Monday, November 22, 2010

The Flip Side - TSA agents


Steven Frischling, "Flying with the Fish" blog has taken the time to interview approximately 20 Transportation Security Officers about their feelings concerning the new enhanced pat downs.  Read his blog and you will get honest, no holds barred, statements from the TSOs.  The majority of them don't like these new procedures any more than the general public.  Sure, mistakes have been made and small issues have turned in to larger ones because of a lack of proper training and some egos that have gotten in the way.

They are the front line in this conflict and they are taking all the back lash.  They've been insulted and degraded themselves.  They are just doing their jobs - and it's a job I sure as hell wouldn't want.  Keep in mind, there is still a very high unemployment rate out there and quitting a job without something else lined up, would be foolish.  They could also be terminated for failing to perform their job.  In the majority of states, you're most likely going to be denied any unemployment compensation for quitting your job.  Try winning an appeal against a government entity.  

One TSO gave their version:

Yesterday a passenger told me to keep my hands off his penis or he’d scream. Is this how a 40 year old man in business attire acts? He’ll scream? My 3 year old can get away with saying he’ll scream, but a 40 something business man? I am a professional doing my job, whether I agree with this current policy or not, I am doing my job.  I do not want to be here all day touching penises.”

The traveling public is blaming the TSOs for something that is certainly out of their control.  Would we blame a police officer for a homicide or a traffic jam?  Would we blame the meteorologist for the weather?  Well, we do, but it's not their fault so why hassle them?  We do it because they're there.  These problems certainly need to be addressed on a higher level.  However, it's very obvious officials from the TSA are standing their ground on this and are pretty much telling the public to suck it up.



I personally will avoid the full body scanner until the TSA is a little more forth coming in releasing information about the potential side effects of the radiation.  I question why that bit of information hasn't been released to the public already.
Do I think these full body scans and enhanced pat downs are intrusive and invasive?  Do I think that they violate our 4th amendment right to an unlawful search?  Yes and yes.  
Does anyone suspect that maybe our government may have some intel about a potentially serious threat and they're not sharing this with the general public?  I've considered the possibility.

Is it possibly selfish to "Opt Out" this Wednesday as a protest?  Maybe not necessarily as a protest but more so because the potential hazards have yet to be determined.  Let your conscious be your guide.



No comments: