The P.O.P. Factor

My photo
"Just the facts, ma'am." More often than not, politically correct bullshit won't be found here. Pardon me while I exercise my 1st amendment right! I welcome all to my little world of bitches, moans, gripes and complaints, and sometimes, the downright freakin' odd. Take a seat and join me. I love a good story.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Morality Police - UPDATE

Bonneau, SC

A follow up with the Morality Police post from Sunday;

Today's area newspaper reports -


 A jury will decide if a woman who got a hefty traffic ticket for displaying big plastic testicles on the back of her pickup truck violated the state's obscene bumper sticker law.

Virginia Tice planned to appear in traffic court Tuesday to ask for a jury trial if the judge didn't drop the charges. As it turned out, Police Chief Franco Fuda beat her to the punch. Fuda asked for a jury trial before Tice had a chance to appear before the judge.

"The statute says obscenity should be determined by community standards," Fuda said Tuesday afternoon. "I didn't think it was fair for a judge to decide that."
The Savage & Savage law firm will represent Tice when she goes to trial, attorney Scott Bischoff said.
"It's not really a complicated case," he said.
Bischoff said he called Fuda to ask for a jury trial, and Fuda told him he already had requested one.
"I had never heard of that," Bischoff said.


The last major flap over the state's obscene bumper sticker law was in the 1990s, when S.C. Highway Patrol officers were pulling over drivers for decals of the cartoon character Calvin urinating.
A Gaffney couple called for a jury trial, the American Civil Liberties Union defended their right to free speech, and a judge dismissed the case.


Ms. Tice was contacted by a very prestigious law firm from downtown Charleston, SC to represent her pro bono.
Makes me wonder what Chief "Fuda-the-fuck-up" has up his sleeve.  Check out this post from 
Beat and Release.   Beat's article is extremely enlightening about Fuda's background.  
I think Fuda just likes seeing his name in the newspaper and it doesn't matter how controversial or how off the wall it is, he's power hungry and doesn't want people to forget him.  With his own personal history of questionable morals, Fuda shouldn't even be a police officer.  

2 comments:

Beat And Release said...

I'm doing pretty good if one of Savage's attorneys hasn't even heard of an officer requesting a jury trial. :)

Older School said...

You did indeed call it. I have spent a number of hours trying to find any potential case law or precedence concerning the prosecution (Fuda) asking for a jury trial before the defendant. "Unheard of", but is it patently wrong in any way?