The P.O.P. Factor

My photo
"Just the facts, ma'am." More often than not, politically correct bullshit won't be found here. Pardon me while I exercise my 1st amendment right! I welcome all to my little world of bitches, moans, gripes and complaints, and sometimes, the downright freakin' odd. Take a seat and join me. I love a good story.

Thursday, July 21, 2011

TSA's Latest Technology

TSA Administrator John Pistole announced yesterday that they have taken a giant step in addressing the privacy concerns of the airline traveling public.

This latest technology  no longer shows a naked x-ray of the person being scanned, but instead, shows a generic diagram of a male or female outline and the computer software will instantly alert the agent of the location of the potential threats.  (See image below)

By using this new software, it eliminates the need to have an agent in another location who scrutinizes every detail of one's naked body. Additionally, it allows the traveling public to actually view the screen, seeing what the agent sees.













Pistole has stated that lab tests have been positive and that they are ready to deploy this new method at airports throughout the country.

Once again, the radiation exposure information has been omitted, and a team of scientists still claim that the exposure exceeds the "general public dose limits" and yet, the TSA continues ignoring their warnings.  A recent investigation revealed a cluster of TSA agents at the Boston Airport who have succumbed to cancer, from what physicians and scientists theorize as a prolonged exposure to the radiation.  Dr. David Brenner, head of Columbia University's center for radiological research, is urging medical authorities to look at his work that points to the dangerous reality of using massive amounts of radiation when you're scanning people without proper oversight.

In my last post, TSA - Grope or an X-Ray?, I showed the recent (July 15) Court of Appeals ruling that unequivocally states that no person can be forced to go through the full body image x-ray scanner and the TSA must accommodate those that request an alternate means of being screened. As much as it disgusts me, the next time I get on an airplane, I'm going for the grope.

Pistole touts this new technology as, "the best possible security with the best possible privacy." But is it safe?

No comments: