The P.O.P. Factor

My photo
"Just the facts, ma'am." More often than not, politically correct bullshit won't be found here. Pardon me while I exercise my 1st amendment right! I welcome all to my little world of bitches, moans, gripes and complaints, and sometimes, the downright freakin' odd. Take a seat and join me. I love a good story.

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Cough due to cold?

Ah yes, cold and flu season is upon us and it's safe to say that some of us will avoid going to the doctor at any cost.  In fact, that's the problem -- it costs.
There is no cure for the common cold so we know the schpiel -
drink plenty of fluids, get plenty of rest, eat Mom's chicken soup, and fight off the symptoms with any number of over the counter cold remedies.

I have developed a cough, that I can only hope won't manifest itself in to bronchitis.  After a very lengthy holiday road trip, I decide to take a quick stop at my local CVS to pick up some cough syrup and some milk before going home and crawling in to bed.

I made 2 mistakes:

1.  I foolishly believed that I could just run in real quick for my 2 items like it was your local stop 'n rob.
2.  I also left everything in the car and grabbed only a $20.00 bill.  [Yes, some people do occasionally use cash these days.]

This drug store was the busiest I've ever seen it on a Monday evening and there's only 2 employees working in the store.  One in the pharmacy - and it's packed with people back there, and one on the front register.  The young man running the register is about 25-30 years old, and is wearing a shirt and tie, not the usual blue CVS shirt.  I take it he's an Assistant Manager - or Assistant Manager in training - or an Assistant Manager in training to be a pain in my ass.

I get in line with my 2 items.  It was a strange, haphazard line and there are 3 people ahead of me.  What bothers me most is that he [the cashier/Asst. Manager] is spending an inordinate amount of time chatting up this pretty little blonde that he's checking out.  Granted, she has quite a bit of merchandise, but the usual 18-21 year olds I see working in here can always manage to make that line move a whole hell of a lot faster.

I'm tired.  Time is ticking.  I'm shifting my weight on either foot.  He's not getting her phone number, but he sure is kissing her ass. This guy is being so disgustingly pleasant that you just want to knock some ugly in to him!  Ok finally....she's out.  Next guy.  Blah, blah. Next guy...he wants cigarettes.  He's clearly younger than me. The Assistant Ass is being a bit solicitous to him too in that they don't have his brand and their delivery truck is expected tomorrow, but we have the shorter version.  Doesn't ask for ID to make sure he's old enough and responsible enough to smoke tobacco.  FINALLY!  My turn!  My turn!

I put my stuff on the counter and hand over my $20.00.  He rings up the items and is bagging them when he comes up with this brilliant comment that about floored me.....I'll need to see some ID to purchase the cough syrup?  ARE YOU FREAKIN' KIDDING ME?   He says he's not.  By this time, the check out line is snaking around an aisle and I just want to get the flock out of there!  I replied, quite loudly, "You want me to show you my ID to buy cough syrup?"  I'm looking out the corner of my eye, possibly looking for some affirmation or hope, or understanding from the other poor saps behind me.  It ain't happenin'.
I asked (with indignant sarcasm) if he'd hold up the line just for me so I could hustle on out to my car and get my ID.  "Sure" he says ever so pleasantly.  I still wanna slap the smug off this guy's face.

I bring it back, show him my ID and he glances at it.  OH HELL NO!  I asked him what point that served...it's obvious I'm over 21 and I'm only buying one bottle.  He starts stammering this crap about it's federal law and store policy, blah blah.  I suggest they get some signs put up because I've never heard of such a thing.  I'm too tired to argue and I hear some grumbling behind me so I take my lumps and exit the store.

So now, it's the next day and I've been to another major grocery store chain with a pharmacy and asked about this so called law.  The pharmacist says that a consumer must be over 18 and can only purchase one bottle at a time.  They do not check your ID unless they have some doubts.  I buy some Mucinex that contains a higher amount of Dextromethorphan than the cough syrup I bought yesterday.  No one asked for my ID.
I call another retail chain pharmacy and pose the same question.  This time, I get a giggly young girl who flat out says that they use discretion, but stores like Target and CVS do check ID's.  Holy shit!

After all that, I come across this article.


Then I found the Dextromethorphan Reduction Act simply requires the purchaser be over 18.  This statement about our big government interference just puts it all in perspective.
Now I ask you, does this serve any purpose?  Who is winning the war on drugs?


Shall we start asking for ID from people whenever they purchase an aerosol product just so we can make a concerted effort to deter "huffing" by teenagers?

There's a moral to this story, but I'm too sick to figure it out.

No comments: