The P.O.P. Factor

My photo
"Just the facts, ma'am." More often than not, politically correct bullshit won't be found here. Pardon me while I exercise my 1st amendment right! I welcome all to my little world of bitches, moans, gripes and complaints, and sometimes, the downright freakin' odd. Take a seat and join me. I love a good story.

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The Things You See

A reassignment put me on the midnight shift and I was working in an area that generally has a high call volume.  Not on this night.  It was a very frigid January in the southeast.  Unusually cold temps were hovering around freezing.  After about 2 a.m., there was literally no radio traffic to speak of.  A city of roughly 80,000 had about 7 cops and 2 supervisors working that night.  It was eerily quiet.

I was patrolling up the main street area of our fair city, literally looking for something to do.  I happened to be sitting at a traffic light.  This is a 7 point intersection so there's quite a wait for a green light, no matter your direction.  I was facing northwest.

I glanced up and at my 1 o'clock position I saw a very odd thing in the sky.  It literally darted from left to right and then hovered in the same position for seconds.  Its lights were twinkling and the object was oblong shaped, but was wider on the front and then narrowed to the rear.  It was a brilliant blue color in a cloudy, starless night sky.  After hovering, it then darted in a vertical path, flying up first.  I was so mesmerized by this object that I sat through my green light.  In fact, I grabbed for the car mic, but thought to myself, "What the hell do I say? I think I've got a UFO near Broadway and Main?"  Yeah, sure.  That's a guaranteed trip to the shrink.

For just a split second, I took my eye off it and it darted from my right to the left, disappearing in to the sky.
I peered out through my windshield and even opened the drivers window to try and get a better look.  It had disappeared.
I see in my side view mirror that there is a car moving around me to go through the green light.  That means I've sat at this intersection over 5 minutes.
I look at my watch.  It's 3:40 a.m. and there's no one else around me that saw what I saw.  It's best I just dismiss this as 'abnormal weather conditions.'

2 days later, a small mention in the local newspaper about some calls to the airport tower.  Some people reported seeing an unusual object in the sky around 3:35 a.m.  Their statement to the press read in part;  "that there were no commercial flights after midnight and the Air Force denies they had anything flying in the sky that night."

The things you see....

No comments: