The P.O.P. Factor

My photo
"Just the facts, ma'am." More often than not, politically correct bullshit won't be found here. Pardon me while I exercise my 1st amendment right! I welcome all to my little world of bitches, moans, gripes and complaints, and sometimes, the downright freakin' odd. Take a seat and join me. I love a good story.

Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Wonders of Wally-World


Mt. Pleasant, SC

This small municipality of 68,000 outside of Charleston, SC is noted for Patriots Point, the Cooper River Bridge Run and of course, the Cooper River Bridge itself. They boast mostly higher income residents and have some of the better schools in Charleston County...if that's possible. Their homicide rate is virtually non-existent.  The local cops were often referred to as the "pretty police" back in the day. They didn't do much then, but looked good doing it. My, how things have changed in the last 10 years.
Every now and then they have a high profile incident or the cops piss off some hoity-toity who was breaking the law and the news media just plays it up. After all, it used to be a nice place to live.

When Wal-Mart announced they were going to build a new super center store in Mt. Pleasant, they had more opposition than you could imagine. The project was delayed for several years because the residents screamed it would be not only be "unattractive" at the proposed location, but it "would attract the wrong element."
It's been open only a couple of years now and the store generally just attracts some shoplifters and an occasional incident in the parking lot.

This time, it actually looks like the ghetto came to the hoity-toity Wal-Mart.



A 20 year old black male employee of the Wal-Mart was stabbed to death inside the front entrance.  The suspect in the stabbing is a 19 year old acquaintance and no one has released information on what prompted the violence.
The thing that always amazes me is the drama and emotional outbursts that black women display in certain "theaters" where they have an audience.  In fact, one of my favorite bloggers, Beat and Release, has aptly dubbed it "Shaniqua Theater."

If you pay attention to about the first 10 seconds of this video, you'll get some idea of what I'm talking about.
Then maybe someone can explain to me why they do this.

I now believe that the residents of Mt. Pleasant may have had the right idea....I am not a fan of Wally-world.  Mainly because the clientele is often a scary sight and I really think that I've seen enough scary to last me a lifetime. Just go to the "People of Walmart"  website and you'll understand my desire to stay away from that place. After a few minutes of viewing those peeps, you may consider poking your eyes out.

3 comments:

Mad Jack said...

Hey Shaniqua - you're on!!!

I think it's learned behavior. One does it and gets all kinds of attention and sympathy. Others see this and so imitate this behavior when their turn comes. Anything that results in a benefit of some sort is learned quickly and repeated. The thing is I have no way of knowing if the behavior is repeated or performed in private, when no one is watching. I'm guessing it isn't.

There's also Tyrone Theater.

Anonymous said...

There is no explaining it. My husbands family is black and no matter what we are doing, where we are or what has happened atleast one of the female relatives is in what I call a fit of drama. We can be at the gas station, the house, the store, a movie theater... doesn't matter... it's sad and disturbing and pretty much just annoys the hell out of me which is why they are never invited to our home.

Older School said...

@ Mad Jack-

Indeed! But Tyrone was conspicuously absent from this local Wal-Mart.

@ Anonymous -

I really feel your pain and can honestly relate to the frustration you experience when the curtain goes up.